Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Walking



 I have been trying to take long walks mostly in preparation for hiking later in the year but also as a good way to get some much needed current exercise.  A few days ago when it was a really nice day I took my camera and snapped a few photos along the way.  

 
The view from the top of the hill.
 

Crocus blooming in the parking strip.
 

Primroses by the gate.
 

Garden stone.

The route takes me up and over a steep hill, down to the natural food grocery store and back or it can be extended from there to another store, Metropolitan Market, where I can buy French pastries and put all those pounds back on that the walk is presumably taking off!  The short route is approximately 3 miles the long way adds an additional mile.  Still not quite the 5 miles (8 k) I am hoping to achieve but I think if I add a stop at the library that will do it.   Switching back and forth from block to block or by making a circle and returning on the bike trail instead of the streets can vary the route.  My face gets rosy from the cold and I feel terrific and full of energy when I return home.  I have heard of runners getting this type of feeling but I didn’t know walkers could get it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment