Monday, July 30, 2018
Photograph of Hans Christian Schrøder taken by G. Stockel studio, Rønne, Bornholm, ca 1876
Here is a brief chronological recap of Hans Christian Schrøder’s two marriages and children as we can piece them together so far.
The first family:
1. Hans Christian Schrøder, born 1852 in Odense, Denmark, was married first to Hansine Margrethe Kjøller, born 1853 in Vestermarie, Bornholm, Denmark, on 30 June 1876 in Nexø, Borholm, Denmark.
2. They were still living in Nexø when their first child, Axel Villiam (William) was born 20 January 1877.
3. A few months following Axel’s birth the family moved to Vestermarie, Bornholm, where Hansine’s family lived.
4. When Axel was about 2 or 3 years old Hans and Hansine left him in the care of his grandparents, Jens Peter Kjøller and Ane Magdalene “Malene,” aunts, Ane Katrine* and Jane Caroline who was married to Hans Christian Skov and uncle, Hans Georg Kjøller, and moved to Helsingør north of København in the county of Frederiksborg.
5. Their second child, an unnamed girl, was born prematurely and died the same day 22 August 1880 while the couple was living in Helsingør.
6. During 1880 the census shows Hans and Hansine separated and living at different addresses but still married.
7. By 1885 Hansine had moved back to Bornholm and settled in the city of Rønne where her parents and brother had moved. Hansine’s two sisters and her brother-in-law remained at the farm estate in Vestermarie and Axel was living with them at that time.
8. Hansine’s third child, a boy named Camillo Kjøller Schrøder, was born 13 June 1885 in Rønne, Bornholm, lived for one month and died 11 July 1885. At the time that Camillo was christened in the church Hansine is listed as divorced. Camillo’s father is not named in the church record so it is not known if he was the son of Hans Christian but is presumed to be so.
9. Axel later moved to Rønne where his mother, his uncle Hans Georg, and his grandparents were living. He was confirmed there in 1891.
10. Hansine never remarried.
11. Axel joined the Danish navy at age 18 or 19, survived 2 shipwrecks, ended up in Chile, South America and eventually worked his way up the coasts of South and North America to land in Seattle around 1898 or 1899.
12. Hansine moved to America, in 1903, following the deaths of her parents, and lived with her son, Axel and daughter-in-law, Anna.
13. She died in Seattle, Washington on 9 May 1920.
The second family:
1. During the separation or about the time of the divorce, Hans established a relationship with Ane Jensine Jensen who was born 1862 in Farum, Frederiksborg, not far from where Hans was living and working.
2. They had a daughter, Julie Katinka, 20 January 1882 and later that year move to København where Julie Katinka is christened at Skt. Stefan’s (Saint Stephen’s) church 10 September 1882. That christening is also recorded in the Farum parish register with notations of the mother’s name, no father, but the child is given the surname of Schrøder, an illegitimate birth, and she was later christened in København in 1883. The unmarried mother, Ane Jensine Jensen, was from or living in København in 1887.
3. On 2 January 1887 Hans and Ane Jensine, the daughter of Jens Rasumussen and Kirsten Jensdatter of Farum, are married in Skt. Johannes church, København. At the time of their marriage Hans is listed as divorced (fraskilt) and Ane Jensine does not have a designation such as pige (maiden) or jomfrue (young woman) probably because they had had a what would be considered a common-law marriage before the event held in the church.
The children of Hans Christian Schrøder and his second wife, Ane Jensine Jensen:
1. Julie Katinka*, sometimes uses the name Cathe, born 20 January 1882, Farum, Frederiksborg, Denmark. Her first name is a female version of her grandfather’s, Julius Schrøder. She was christened at Saint Stefan’s, København.
2. Octavia (sometimes written as Oktavia or Oklavia) Eleanora Christine Marie, born 12 August 1883. She is also listed as illegitimate but the father’s name is provided as …F (divorced) journeyman baker, Hans Christian Schrøder and a note that Hans and Ane Jensine were married in the same church, Saint Johannes, 1887.
3. Alexia Elvira Sofie Magdalene, born 17 July 1885, died 25 April 1888, age 2 years and 9 months. Her birth and christening are recorded at Saint Johannes.
4. Ellen Maud Louise, born 26 September 1887, died 7 November 1887, age 6 weeks. Her parents are not named on Skt. Stefan’s death record but the street address is provided and it is the same address as found for the christening of child #5.
5. Alexia Elvira Sofie Magdaline, born 13 October 1889. This is a different child than #3. It was not uncommon to give another child of the same sex the same name as a deceased sibling. Birth and Christening recorded at Saint Stefan’s.
6. Carl Frederik Andreas, born 13 May 1891. He is named for his uncle Carl Frederik Andreas Schrøder the older brother of Hans Christian. Birth and Christening recorded at Saint Jakob’s.
7. Louise Elna Edith Agnes, born 13 September 1892. Her name sometimes appears as Edith or Agnes. Her birth date was taken from the 1901 & 1906 census.
8. Hans Christian, born 9 July 1895. His birth date was taken from the 1901 & 1906 census.
Carl Frederik Andreas Schrøder, an older brother of Hans, is listed as a witness or bondsman on the marriage record of Hans and Ane Jensine. His occupation is given as barber. He appears several times as a witness for christenings and is often identified as the barber Andreas Schrøder. A sister, Elise Cathinka Schrøder* sometimes shown as Lise, also appears as a witness to several of the christenings of the children of this second marriage.
Hans Christian and Ane Jensine together with some of their children appear on census records 1901, 1906, 1911, 1921, and 1925. Hans Christian and his daughter, Octavia are found on the 1930 census where he is listed as widowed. That helps date Ane Jensine’s death to between 1925 and 1930 in København, living at Amagertorv.
The 1933, 1935, and 1940 census records are available through FamilySearch.org and the Danish digital archives but not indexed so it will be necessary to use the 1930 street address on Amagertorv and hope they didn’t move to see if we narrow the time of death for Hans Christian.
Identified descendants from second family so far:
Julie Katinka Schrøder married Carl Didriksen, born 2 October 1875, on 7 August 1903 in København, Denmark. They moved to Rønne, Bornholm, Denmark around 1906. Carl was a telegraph operator in Rønne, Bornholm.
They had five children:
1. Ingeborg Didriksen, born 22 June 1901 in København
2. Poul Erik Thor Didriksen, born 20 November 1904 in København
3. Thora Esther Didriksen, born 11 June 1908 in Rønne, Bornholm
4. Aase Wilhelmina Didriksen, born 27 February 1910, Rønne, Bornholm [twin]
5. Else Kristine Didriksen, born 27 February 1910, Rønne, Bornholm [twin]
Carl Frederik Andreas Schrøder married Betty Marie Axelsen, born 9 April 1893, from Norway in 1917 in Denmark.
They had three children:
1. Hulda Jensine Schrøder, born 21 October 1918 in Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway
2. Olga Schrøder, born 30 April 1920, Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway
3. Carl Bernhardt Schrøder, born 10 October 1922, Stavanger, Rogaland, Norway
* Axel Schroder corresponded with a Cathe Schrøder who identified herself as aunt to his children, Bill and Betty Schrøder. Both Axel’s aunt, Ane Katrine Kjøller and his half sister, Julie Katinka sometimes used the name Cathe. Elise Cathinka Schrøder is a less likely possibility since she tended to use the name Lise not Cathe.
The watercolor painting attributed to Hans Christian Schrøder shows a scene in København that would have been near to where the family lived.
Note: Please see the original post about Hans Christian Schrøder for additional information. Updates will be posted when/if new information is uncovered.
Thursday, July 26, 2018
Alcalá Gate, Madrid, Spain
This postcard was one several that my son and his wife sent to me from their recent trip to Portugal and Spain. The photograph was taken by Miguel Corazón and shows the Alcalá Gate in Madrid. The card was printed in Spain by Producido por Grupo LK of Madrid.
Madrid was a walled city and as the city population grew and the city expanded newer walls became necessary. The walls were not for the defense of the city but more to control trade in and out of the city, to ensure collection of taxes and to monitor who went in and out of the city. The Walls of Philip IV replaced the Walls of Philip II and surrounded Madrid from 1625 to 1868. The walls were built of brick, mortar and compacted earth. Persons exiting the city would have to pass through gates where taxes were paid. There were five royal gates that would stay open until 10 pm in the winter and 11 pm in the winter. People entering or leaving the city after hours through a royal gate would have to be admitted through a checkpoint. The fourteen smaller gates or portillos opened at dawn, closed at sunset and remained closed overnight.
Charles III commissioned the gate shown on the card in 1774 and Francesco Sabatini the Italian (1721-1797) architect was selected to design it. Older than the Arc de Triomphe in Paris and the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin the Alcalá Gate is regarded as the first modern post-Roman triumphal arch built in Europe. The gate was built in 1778. Before this magnificent arch was built the city is said to have looked like a drab borough surrounded by medieval walls.
Today remnants of the old walls can be seen in a couple of places, the retaining wall of the Jardine de Las Vistillas and near the fire station of Ronda de Segovia by the Puerta de Toledo roundabout. Neither is in good condition but there is a commemorative plaque by the Ronda de Segovia.
In 2001 Madrid was named the World Book Capital. In honor of the event the monument gardens were added near the gate and night-lights were installed.
For more information, see:
Thursday, July 19, 2018
Art Deco style travel poster by Francisco de Paula Hohenleiter de Castro, 1941
Here is another travel poster made into a postcard. The card shared today is one of several cards in a packet sent to me by my son and his wife who just returned from a trip to Portugal and Spain. The style is Art Deco a movement that ended with the beginning of World War II making this poster one of the last to be made in that style. Both Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles were popular in advertising poster art.
The artist is identified as Franscisco Hohenleiter de Castro. He was born in Cadiz, Spain in 1889 and died in Seville in 1968. Several travel posters are attributed to him but this one often appears when searching his name so I think it must be quite well known. In addition to his travel posters he is also known for more traditional fine art paintings featuring Spanish subjects.
Spanish poster art was influenced by the travel posters of France, Germany and Italy but uses its own cultural themes and colors. Many of the vintage travel posters were done in Art Nouveau, Art Deco or late Art Deco style. As mentioned in previous Thursday postcard posts, Art Nouveau used more rounded shapes, curves and floral designs and patterns. That movement started around 1880 and ended with World War I. Art Deco was influenced by cubism and used more straight lines and geometric shapes. It began following World War I and ended with World War II. Works done in the late 1930s up to the beginning of the war are sometimes referred to as Late Art Deco.
Spanish travel posters use bright colors and tend to feature religious holidays, festivals and bullfighting. This one is advertising a religious holiday and festival held in Seville in April 1941. This one offers a scenic view of the city of Seville and features two ladies in traditional costumes.
For additional information, see:
Thursday, July 12, 2018
Paradise Glacier, Rainier National Park, ca late 1920s
It is hard to imagine that in less than 100 years the Paradise Glacier has retreated from the massive example in the picture to almost all gone today. The photograph on this vintage postcard dates from the late 1920s or early 1930s and shows 3 people standing on the then immense glacier. There are no credits to the photographer or the publisher on this card but there is a number at the right of the writing at the lower left. The number is difficult to read but looks like 255. The picture below from Wikipedia.org shows approximately the same location as it is today.
Paradise Glacier, ca 2017
Located on Mount Rainier’s southeast flank today the glacier covers 0.4 square miles or 1.0 km. The Muir Snowfield, Anvil Rock and McClure Rock form the boundaries. A section of the main lobe connected to the larger Cowlitz Glacier and to the south there was a smaller portion near The Cowlitz Rocks and a much smaller glacier called Williwakas Glacier. The smaller lobe melted between 2004 and 2006.
The Paradise Glacier had ice caves that Bopa and I hiked up to in the mid 1960s. First discovered in 1908 the ice caves have disappeared due to glacial recessions. They did not exist in the 1940s and the 1990s and do not exist today. In 1978 the ice caves at Paradise were the longest mapped system of glacier caves in the world.
Yesterday Bob and I hiked to Glacier Basin on the opposite side of the mountain from the Paradise Glacier where there also used to be a large glacier. The photo shows a similar retreat of snow and ice.
For additional information, see:
Monday, July 9, 2018
The welcome sign to Fort Clatsop
On the return trip home from the Redwoods in addition to the forest, beach and lighthouses we stopped at Fort Clatsop near Astoria, Oregon where Lewis & Clark and their party stayed the winter of 1805-1806. This was their last camp before returning to St. Louis, Missouri. Thirty-three people including the French Canadian trapper, Troussaint Charbonneau, his wife Sacagawea and their son lived here during that winter. The name “Clatsop” comes from the local Indian tribe. Docents dressed in period costumes are available to answer questions and perform demonstrations to show how the people lived and worked while they stayed at the fort. When we visited a young woman dressed in costume was giving a tour to a group of school children. There is also a modern visitor center and gift shop on the park grounds.
Life-size statue of Sacagawea and Pompy
Besides the fort buildings there is also a life-sized statue of Sacagawea carrying her baby, Jean Baptiste who was nicknamed Little Pomp or Pompy.
It took a little over 3 weeks to construct the original fort that served as their camp. When the Lewis & Clark party left to return east the fort was presented as a gift to the chief of the Clatsops. Some of the wood was used for other purposes but the site became an important fur trading post. After many years the original buildings decayed in the wet climate until nothing was left. However a general idea of where the camp was located was known and for the sesquicentennial in 1955 a replica was built on or close to the original site. That replica lasted for 50 years but was severely damaged by fire in 2005. The current fort was reconstructed using about 700 volunteers in 2006. The new replica was built using archeological information not available in 1955. A fire detection system was also installed.
The entry to the fort. School children watching the docent perform a demonstration can be seen at the right.
Inside the fort
Interior of a bunkhouse. There were 4 sets of bunk beds or 8 beds in each bunkhouse.
The larger room shared by Lewis and Clark
The rear door out of the fort
A work area outside of the fort walls where tools were repaired, cooking and other work was done
The fort seemed small to us considering it housed 33 individuals. Two simple buildings faced one another. Each of the bunk-rooms had 4 sets of bunk beds, seven men per room with one bed empty. Lewis and Clark shared a slightly larger room that had 2 separate beds and a table for maps and journals. Charbonneau and his wife and child shared another room. There was also a storeroom where supplies were kept. A nearby spring provided fresh water for the fort.
For additional information, see:
Thursday, July 5, 2018
Oregon Sea Lion Caves
On the return trip home from the Redwood National & State Parks we stopped at the Sea Lion Caves located about 11 miles north of Florence, Oregon. This unused postcard has a photo by Michael Anderson and was published by Greatland Classics Series Co., Inc. It has the identifying code 79-08DC at the lower left on the reverse.
When we purchased the postcard in the gift shop we also got a small booklet, “Sea Lion Caves,” explaining the history of the caves and providing information about some of the surrounding area. According to the book, in 1880 a Captain William Cox, in a small boat, was supposedly the first person to enter the caves. He visited the caves several times and eventually bought the land containing the caves in 1887 from the State of Oregon. Then he and his heirs retained ownership until a local developer, R.E. Clanton, acquired the land in 1927 with the intention of establishing a business and opening the caves to the public. Two other local residents, J.G. Houghton and J.E. Jacobson, originally joined Clanton but that partnership was dissolved and R.A. Saubert replaced Clanton.
Multi-generations of these three families owned and managed the caves until 2006 when the Houghton’s sold their interests to the Jacobsen and Saubert families who continue to operate the facility. Until a high-speed elevator was installed in 1961 access to the caves was by trail partway down the cliff and then stairs. The goal of the owners, managers and staff at the Sea Lion Caves is to preserve the ecosystem while making it accessible for everyone. The elevator descends 208 feet in slightly less than one minute.
The Steller sea lions are named for a noted German naturalist, Georg Wilhelm Steller (1709-1746), who traveled with Vitus Bearing in 1731 to Alaska and was the first to observe, study and classify them. An interesting trivia fact, sea lions have ears and earflaps that close when the animal goes under water. Seals, much smaller animals, do not have earflaps. Steller sea lions are very large mammals; the mature bulls can be 16 feet long and weigh as much as 2500 pounds. The females are smaller; about 8 or 9 feet long and weigh about 600 to 800 pounds. The babies called pups can be 50 pounds at birth!
They apparently enjoy each others company as the rocks were large enough for the group to be more spread out but they were bunched together, almost on top of one another on just one section. Perhaps this is just one especially large harem? The harem size for one bull averages about 15 to 30 cows. Because a bull could lose some of his wives during the season to another bull he might not leave the rookery for as long as 3 months.
As the picture illustrates, the sea lions were some distance from us, nevertheless we certainly could hear and smell them!
They have a thick hide and coarse hair and most we saw were either a tawny golden color or a warm brown color. Their diet consists mainly of bottom fish, squid, octopus, sardines, herring, and Lamprey Eel.
These two bulls were somewhat apart from the other group. They were growling and lunging at one another even though there were no females near.
The entry to the caves is through the building seen in the center of the card. Since we were visiting during mating season the sea lions were outside on the rocks called the rookery. We walked down the path to the sea lion lookout and took a few photos. Then we walked back up the path and took the other pathway to the elevator and the caves level below. With the main cave area about 2 acres and the ceiling about 125 feet above water this sea cave system is one of the largest in the United States. It is possible to look through a grated natural opening into the rocky area where the sea rushes in and where the sea lions congregate during other times of the year. In the winter about 200 or more sea lions will inhabit the caves. The card also shows stairs going to the original north entrance viewpoint, the opening where Captain Cox entered. From there the Heceta Head lighthouse can be seen.
The view looking through the grating at the area where more than 200 sea lions will spend the winter
View from the top of the stairs shown at the right on the postcard. The Heceta lighthouse can just be seen on the point across the sea.
A zoom in view of the lighthouse
There is an admission fee for the sea lion caves but the experience of seeing the sea lions in their natural habitat was well worth the fee.
For additional information, see:
“Sea Lions” a publication of the Sea Lion Caves and www.sealioncaves.com