Fort Harmar, Marietta, Ohio
While in Marietta, Ohio earlier this year we crossed the bridge to what was originally Harmar where this early fort stood. Today this is part of the town of Marietta. The postcard is another in a series published by David Shelburne-Shelburne Films for the historical documentary “Opening the Door West” and available at the Campus Martius Museum in Marietta.
Fort Harmar was built in 1785 by John Doughty (1754-1826). He was the American military officer who also oversaw the construction of Fort Washington in 1789 on the Ohio frontier. Fort Harmar was shaped like a pentagon and was situated at the confluence of the Ohio and Muskingham rivers directly across from the Picketed Point Fort featured in a previous postcard Thursday. The fort was abandoned and later demolished as the development of Marietta expanded. In 1789 it was the site of the Treaty of Fort Harmar between the United States and several Native American tribes.
The fort took its name from Josiah Harmar who was influential in the founding of Marietta and had been one of the officers at Fort Harmar. Even though the village of Harmar has been annexed into the town of Marietta it is still referred to as Harmar and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The footbridge across the river for pedestrians and bicyclers was built next to the rail bridge that is no longer used. The footbridge was interesting because while certainly sturdy enough it is not level nor straight. Growing near the shoreline and partly in the river were several Silver Maples that can be partially seen at the right side of the photo below.
Sign by the Harmar rail bridge
Harmar historic buildings
Sign by the Masonic lodge in Harmar
Looking across the river from Harmar to Marietta.
For more information: