Pittock Mansion, Portland, Oregon, ca 1980s
This is a seven-postcard set showing views of the Pittock Mansion in Portland, Oregon. The last photograph is of the Christmas tree and since it is a week before Christmas it seemed a good time to share this set of cards. Smith Western, Inc. of Portland published the cards dated from the 1980s. Some of the cards have the decorative scalloped edging.
Northeast front of the mansion
The mansion is in the French Renaissance château style and was designed by architect Edward T. Foulkes. It is located in the West Hills area of Portland. Completed in 1914, originally the 23-room sandstone estate was built on 46 acres as a private residence for Henry Pittock and his wife, Georgiana. Pittock was the publisher of The Oregonian newspaper. Now the city’s Bureau of Parks and Recreation owns the mansion and opens it for tours. The grounds offer panoramic views of Portland.
There was a scandal in 1911 when it was discovered and brought to public attention that Pittock had arranged for a water line to be brought to the mansion at city expense even though it was a half mile outside the city limits at that time. A long standing feud between Pittock and Will H Daly, the city councilman who brought the issue to public attention, developed that resulted in the end of the councilman’s political career.
Georgiana, who died in 1918, was one of the founders of the Portland Rose Festival. Henry died a year later in 1919. The Pittock family remained in the mansion until 1958 when they tried unsuccessfully to sell the house and property. In 1962 the Columbus Day storm caused extensive damage and the owners considered demolishing the building; however, the community raised funds to help the city purchase the property. The city recognized the historic value, purchased the estate in 1964 for $225,000 and spent 15 months restoring it. The mansion opened to the public in 1965 and has been a community landmark ever since. Approximately 80,000 people visit a year. The site is also one of the best places for bird watching in Portland. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.
Christmas in the ballroom
For additional information, see: