Salt Palace, Salt Lake City, Utah, ca 1908
The vintage postcard shown above with a night view photograph of the original Salt Palace in Salt Lake City, Utah can be dated to about 1908 since the card has a divided back which became legal in December 1907 and the stamp on the reverse was in use between 1902 and 1908. Frank H. Leib (1868-1943) of Salt Lake City published the card numbered 1711. In 1910 he is listed as publisher of postcards but by 1920 he is no longer involved in the postcard business. On the 1940 census his age is given as 71 years and his occupation listed as Salesman, paper company.
There have been three Salt Palaces in Salt Lake City. This one was built in 1899 and destroyed by fire in 1910. It was used as a dance hall, theatre and racing track. Early basketball games were also played in this venue. The architect was Richard Karl August Kletting (1858-1943) whose other designs included the Utah State Capitol, the Enos Wall Mansion, now part of the LDS Business College campus, and the Old Saltair Resort Pavilion on the beach of Great Salt Lake. A number of his buildings have survived and are listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places. His interest in and contribution to forestry was recognized by naming a 12,000-foot mountain in Summit County, Utah Kletting Peak for him.
The Gingerbread Definitive stamp shown below is dated 1902 and was used between 1902 and 1908. The name was derived from the ornate borders. The 1902 stamp is described as a blue-green color whereas the 1903 version is green.
For more information including photos of some of the buildings designed by Kletting, see: