Friday, April 18, 2014

Happy Easter! Postcard bonus





Easter postcard, ca 1910



reverse

Happy Easter!  I found this vintage card while looking for something else.  Since today is Good Friday it seemed like it should be shared this week rather than waiting.  The picture shows eggs decorated with pink bows and made to look like flowers with pussy willows and catkins.  Little white bells are blooming on the ground below the eggs.

This holiday card was published by the International Art Publishing Co. of New York and Berlin.  It was printed in Germany, has a divided back, and a one-cent stamp but unfortunately the cancellation date is not legible.  The print date can be partially estimated since the company was established in 1895 by Wolf & Co. and the Art Lithographic Publishing Co. as a subsidiary to produce holiday and souvenir cards.   According to information found on the web site http://www.metropostcard.com/publishersi.html  the International Art Publishing Co. was making cards between 1895 and 1914.  Goodwin Lee who sent the card to his uncle, I.C. Lee, was born in 1899.  If he was 10 or 12 years old that would date the card to between 1909 and 1911.  

This second postcard below shows Goodwin and his uncle, I.C. sitting together.  The message is written in pencil and says “Hello Pete,* Here is this of me and Goodwin.  Don’t we look serious?  Best regards from both of us—just look at me.  Ingvald”  I.C.’s brother, A.C., passed away in June 1909 and I think this photograph was taken when I.C. went to the funeral.  Goodwin would have been 10 years old.




 Goodwin Lee & I.C. Lee, 26 June 1909




Reverse

Note:

*  Pete refers to I.C.'s wife, Petra Landaas Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment