The photograph on the card above shows the 12-inch gun being fired. At the upper portion of the picture to the right it is possible to see the shell in the air. Whether by design or accident this is an amazing thing to see captured on film. The shells could travel ten miles or more and since the channel is only 5 miles wide the three forts could easily cover the entire area. The reverse side of the card contains information about the gun.
The cards below show the military encampment as Fort Casey was being established in the 1890s and the original Red Bluff lighthouse.
Red Bluff Lighthouse, ca 1890
The wooden Red Bluff lighthouse was moved a short distance to accommodate the building and manning of the fort. The newer brick Admiralty Head lighthouse shown below was built in 1903. The brick lighthouse has a distinctive separate tower.
For more information about Fort Casey and the lighthouses see: