Guinigi Tower, Lucca Italy
The lower card shows an aerial view of Roman Catholic basilica church, San Michele in Foro (the old Roman forum site). Dedicated to Archangel Michael it was the seat of the Major Council the most important assembly in the town until 1370. First mention of this church dates from 795 AD. Pope Alexander II had it rebuilt after 1070. The façade dates from the 13th century and has a number of sculptures and inlays some that were remade in the 19th century. The 4 meter tall statue of St. Michael the Archangel flanked by two other angels at the top left of the church can be seen on the postcard. Both cards are Santori editions of Lucca.
San Michele in Foro, Lucca, Italy
Anciently the city was the site of Ligurian, Etruscan and Roman settlements. The current day city of Lucca has kept the street plan dating to when it was a Roman colony in 180 BC. The walls around the old town have remained intact and traces of an old Roman amphitheatre can still be seen in the Piazza dell’Aanfiteatro.
Like many ancient and medieval cities Lucca was a fortress and subject to periodic plundering and sieges. Lucca prospered with silk trade beginning in the 11th century. It was also a feudal capital in Tuscany during the 10th and 11th centuries. For almost 500 years Lucca was an independent commune republic. The rich and varied history through the centuries list times it was sold, seized, ceded, surrendered and liberated. In 1805 Lucca was conquered by Napoleon, followed by rule by a succession of dukes and duchesses. In 1861 it was annexed into the Italian State. Lucca is the birthplace of the famous music composer Giacomo Puccini.
For additional information, see: